Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Comet's Surface

I have had a think about what a space probe would find at the surface of a comet (nucleus). I am thinking it would be made up of a biosynthetic petroleum gel. Long chain chiral - similar in chemical consistency to tar. The function of this skin of at least several metres would be to absorb the sun's heat (being black) and of absorbing meteoric impact. The functional interior organs of the comet need to be protected, and an energy source is required.

6 comments:

Dr Clam said...

Yay! He lives :)

Marco Parigi said...

I'm biding my time until the Rosetta mission rendezvous
With the comet.

Dr Clam said...

Only two years to go...

Marco Parigi said...

I am so confident that there will be such interesting findings that considerable extra funding would go to extra cometary missions snowballing until it becomes clear the comets represent an intelligent life species that we may want to (and be able to) communicate with somehow. Hopefully within our lifetimes.

Chris Fellows said...

I just noticed that knol appears to be dead... :( Do you have your 'God Delusion' knol backed up anywhere?

Marco Parigi said...

Unfortunately not. I am trying to see if I have any urls that I can put into wayback or a similar Internet caching archive